Tech Editing Goal:
My goal is to be the Pepper Potts to your Tony Stark. I want you to have a pattern that you can release and be confident with it. Here’s a list of things that this Pepper will do to help:
Tech Editing Services:
- Checking that all your numbers add up
- Checking that your pattern will work
- Checking the consistency of the terms used throughout
- Checking your charts and written instructions match each other
- Checking that your instructions match the finished product
- Checking that your spelling and punctuation are correct
- Checking for all necessary components are on the pattern. Do you have an abbreviation list, gauge information etc.
- Checking that the measurements work using the gauge given
- Checking the pattern to your style sheet (if you use one)
- Checking that your pattern makes sense and is readable
- Checking what you ask to be checked (say you don’t need the chart checked I won’t)
- Creating charts to match your written instructions
- Creating written instructions to match your charts
- Schematics – click here for more information
What type of designs do I specialise in:
- Simple Garments
- Lace items
- Simple Crochet Accessories
What does it cost:
I charge £25/$35 per hour billed in 15-minute increments. A simple accessory will generally take anywhere between 30 mins to 1 hour. A simple garment or more complex accessory will generally take between 1 to 2 hours.
We will agree a time when I will work on it so that you will know when the 1st edit will be completed.
Initial consultations and the final edit (just before publication) are free of charge.
The editing process:
- Once you have contacted me I will need to see a copy of the design (preferably via PDF) so I can talk about estimates of the timing and when I will be able to send it back to you.
- Once you have approved and booked a date, I will go ahead and work on the edit and send it back to you as an annotated document by the end of the approved date.
- If required I will do a second edit after you have made the changes.
- Before you publish the pattern I will go through the pattern one final time to make sure that we are both happy with it.
- Once the final edit has been sent back, a PayPal invoice will be sent through.
Newsletter Sign up
- Are you not ready to hire but want to keep in touch?
- Do you want to have a list of the current magazine submissions?
- Do you want to have any helpful tips for how to save money and time with your tech editor?
I really appreciated Catherine’s work on my pattern. From past experience, I have learned that it is impossible to spot those little mistakes (punctuation, random misplaced words etc) in your own work, so having someone else to work through and pick them up is essential to releasing a polished pattern. The editing turnaround was very quick and I had the comments back before I knew it. Communication was clear and easy to follow with comments written up as pdf annotations. I also appreciated the offer of a final read through and check before release.
Catherine is a thorough, consistent and helpful tech editor. Her notes back on my pattern were thoughtful, easy to understand, and timely. She definitely exceeded my expectations and is lovely to work with. We even have an 8 hour time difference, and that has not hindered our communication at all. I would highly recommend Catherine and have already booked her for a second tech edit and schematic help!
Working with Catherine was great. She took my pattern and catch all the style mistakes I had overviewed. Not only that but after having sent me the first corrected version, I wasn’t able to check her corrections for about a month. She was very patient with me, and when I was finally able to review the corrections and actually make them, she was prompt with the revision. I’m really happy with the final version of my pattern, and with Catherine’s work!!
I am just starting down the road of getting my knitting patterns published after completing a City and Guilds course in knitwear design. Finding a reliable tech reviewer seemed quite a difficult task, but after finding Catherine through facebook and giving her a go, I have been very pleased with her work. Working with Catherine has been a very positive experience. She is very professional, helpful and supportive. Scheduling her through Calendly is also very easy and flexible – so easy, in fact, that I’ve scheduled her again!
Deborah from Deborah Manser